The USTA recently released an article about the health benefits of playing tennis. So, for all of you tennis players out there, now you know there are more reasons to play this awesome sport than just the fact that it can be played at all ages. Of course, at SET, we love any article that highlights the benefits of tennis, so we’re eager to share a summary of what the USTA had to say.
Here are the facts:
1. People who participate in tennis 3 hours per week (at moderately vigorous intensity) cut their risk of death in half from any cause, according to physician Ralph Paffenbarger who studied over 10,000 people over a period of 20 years.
2. Tennis players scored higher in vigor, optimism and self-esteem, while scoring lower in depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and tension than other athletes and non-athletes according to Dr. Joan Finn and colleagues at Southern Connecticut State University.
3. Since tennis requires alertness and tactical thinking, it may generate new connections between nerves in the brain and thus promote a lifetime of continuing development of the brain, reported scientists at the University of Illinois.
4. Tennis outperforms golf, inline skating and most other sports in developing positive personality characteristics according to Dr. Jim Gavin, author of The Exercise Habit.
5. Competitive tennis burns more calories than aerobics, inline skating, or cycling, according to studies on caloric expenditures.
Well, there you have it. Five of the many reasons why tennis is the best!
Are you ready to get playing? Visit our website at www.setennisclub.net to learn about all of our great tennis programs and give us a call to schedule your first lesson today!